Crumble is one of my guilty pleasures, especially loaded with clotted cream…..not very health conscious but hey, it’s really only Sunday that I indulge in dessert. I selfishly make this knowing my kids won’t eat it….so more for mummy!
Prep time – 10 minutes Cook time – 25 minutes serving – 4
For the crumble topping
100g Doves gluten-free flour or almond flour
50g gluten-free oats
50g chopped nuts, pecans or almonds
50g stevia or xylitol
100g unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into pieces
For the fruit compote
350g braeburn apples
30g unsalted butter
30g stevia or xylitol
150g rhubarb (thinly sliced)
¼ tsp ground
Cream, clotted cream or vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Tip the flour and sugar into a large bowl. Add the butter, and then rub into the flour using your fingertips to make a light breadcrumb texture. Do not overwork it or the crumble will become heavy.
- Meanwhile, for the compote, peel, core and cut the apples into 2cm dice. Put the butter and stevia in a medium saucepan and melt together over a medium heat.
- Stir in the apples and cook for 3 minutes then add rhubarb and the cinnamon.
- Put the apple and rhubarb mixture in an ovenproof dish and top evenly with the crumble mixture. Pop into the over for 25 minutes or until golden and crunchy on top.
- Serve hot or cold with clotted cream or icecream.