I love this slightly bitter cake with a beautifully prepared cup of jasmine tea. Perfect for those avoiding gluten and a favorite of my friends and family!
Prep time – 15minutes, Cook time – 60 minutes, Serving – 8-10
- 2 blood oranges
- 240 grams almond meal
- 6 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 very ripe banana
- 120 ml maple syrup (or equivalent sweetener of choice i.e. 1tsp Stevia)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease a round cake pan with butter and line with parchment.
- Put whole oranges into a small saucepan and just cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for one hour with a lid on.
- Remove from water and let cool down before chopping roughly into pieces.
- Put oranges and all other ingredients into a large processor and blend until well combined.
- Fold into cake pan and then bake for approximately one hour, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the cake pan for at least 15 minutes and then turn out gently onto a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Decorate with chopped almonds and slices of blood orange .